The Lakeshore Museum Center offers science and history programs, outreaches and loan kits designed to support elementary curriculum. Special programs include The BIG Lesson, Fire Safety Week for City of Muskegon 2nd grade classes, and 3rd grade Michigan History Week: From Furs to Fire.
To learn more about all of the engaging hands-on opportunities for schools, please view our Teacher’s Guide. (Please give the Guide a few moments to load.)Teacher’s Guide
Museum Loan Kits
Lakeshore Museum Center has a wide variety of Educational Loan Kits containing many useful and fun tools to enhance almost any lesson. Resource binders include lesson plans, helpful teaching tips, artifact/specimen explanations and websites for additional information. The Loan Kits are available at no cost and can be checked out for a maximum of two weeks.
Loan kit subject descriptions are available in our Teacher’s Guide. (Please give the Guide a few moments to load.) Information on education standards associated with each of our education loan kits is available here.View Kit Education Standards
Planning a Visit
- Select a program and several possible dates and times.
- Please call at least two weeks in advance to schedule a guided program. Reservations are also required for self-guided tours. No more than two classes will be scheduled at one time.
- You will receive a program confirmation by mail.
- At least one adult for every 10 children is required, unless otherwise noted. Supervision is the responsibility of the teachers and chaperones.
- Would you like to preview the museum before your visit? Print the Educator Preview Pass from the button below. Bring the completed form along with your school ID or a pay stub to receive free entry (where entry fees apply). Check our hours prior to your visit, while the Museum Center is open year-round, our other sites have seasonal hours.
Students are required to wear nametags. Please let us know if you have any special needs. The Museum’s handicap accessible entrance is on Fourth Street (Press the buzzer to notify us of your arrival).
The BIG Lesson
Grade: Second – Fifth
This is an award-winning education model for partnerships between schools and the Lakeshore Museum Center. Have you ever wanted more from a museum visit? Do you wish that you could have a study trip that incorporates special activities, behind-the-scenes tours, experiments and guest speakers? Imagine the impact that a week-long study trip held at the Lakeshore Museum Center could have on your students for the remainder of the school year! For more information, call Jackie 231-722-5526.
From Furs to Fire
Date: Nov. 6 – 10, 2017
A registration lottery will take place September 29, 2017. Call the Programming Department at 231-724-5526 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to be entered into the lottery.
During this interactive educational experience, students will learn how Michigan Indians survived prior to western contact, and, once contact was made, how they used furs to obtain goods and technology from the fur traders. Participants will:
- View demonstrations
- Listen to Native American presenters
- Interact with a Voyageur Re-enactor
Grade: Second & Third
Classes: Oct. 2 – 4, 2017
The City of Muskegon Fire Department and the Lakeshore Museum Center present a Fire Safety Education program each fall during Fire Prevention Week. This program is free of charge and is available to schools within the city of Muskegon. Call 231-724-5534 to register.
Lakeshore Museum Center Out-of-County Admission and Program Fees
- Admission is $60 for a class of 16-30 students (includes 1 teacher and up to 5 chaperones).
- Admission is $30 for a class of 15 or less students (includes 1 teacher and up to 3 chaperones).
- For each museum-led program there is an additional cost of $30 for up to 30 students
Hackley & Hume Historic Site School Admission Fees
Muskegon County Schools
- $50 per class of 16 to 30 students (includes 1 teacher and 1 chaperone per 5 students).
- $2 per student and $7 per adult for groups over 30.
Non-Muskegon County Schools
- $90 per class of 15 to 30 students (includes 1 teacher and up to 5 chaperones).
- $3 per student and $7 per adult for groups over 30.
Michigan’s Heritage Park School Admission Fees
- $90 for a class of up to 30 (includes 1 teacher and up to 5 chaperones).
- $45 for a class of up to 15
Please Note: 1 chaperone is required per 6 students.
Home School Admission Fees
- $3 per student (2 – 18)
- $5 for first adult in family
- $10 for each additional adult in the family
Lakeshore Museum Center Out-of-County Outreach Fees
Outreaches are now available to schools outside Muskegon County, within a 40 mile radius of the museum. Contact the Programming Department at 231-724-5533 if you are unsure if your school is within this radius. For a list of available programs see the Teacher’s Guide at the top of this page.
- $100 for the 1st presentation for up to 30 students, and $50 for each additional presentation of up to 30 students.
- Plus federal mileage rate for round trip from museum.
- $100 deposit is required 2 weeks prior to program with remainder due the day of program.