Fire Barn Museum
Like most cities in the 19th century, fire was a constant fear and problem for Muskegon. After devastating fires in 1871 and 1874, the City of Muskegon constructed a firehouse on the northwest corner of Seventh Street and Webster Avenue.
The original C. H. Hackley Hose Company No. 2 was formed in December 1875. Charles H. Hackley sponsored the twelve firemen in what was his first philanthropic gift to the City of Muskegon. As the city grew and fire fighting equipment became more sophisticated, operations were transferred to other parts of town. The C. H. Hackley Hose Company No. 2 was closed by the City Council in June 1892.
In 1976, the Muskegon Heritage Society and the City of Muskegon joined forces to build a re-creation of the C. H. Hackley Hose Company No. 2 building as a bicentennial project, featuring a collection of antique fire fighting apparatus.
The Fire Barn Museum serves as a living memorial to the brave men and women who have served as Muskegon County firefighters. The Fire Barn Museum became a site of the Lakeshore Museum Center in 1989.
Hours & Admission Info