Coming in July: A Sketch of War: Wally Berg Draws World War II.
This exhibit will take a look at the war through the eyes of the local artist with drawings and watercolors, maps, and military artifacts on display beginning in mid-July. Wally’s war time travels took him to Algeria, France, Tunisia, Sardinia, and many other places from the time he was drafted into the army in 1942 until the war ended in 1945. Join us for an Exhibit Opening Reception on July 21 from 4:00 to 7:30 pm.
Cabinets of Curiosity
Native Heritage: The North American Indian – Native American artifacts from the Museum Collection are on display in the Cabinets of Curiosity in partnership with the Muskegon Museum of Art’s exhibition Edward S. Curtis: The North American Indian. The items include beadwork and jewelry and complement a selection of Curtis’ photogravures on display at the MMA through September 10. A more extensive display of Native American artifacts from our collection can be found at Michigan’s Heritage Park, our site in Whitehall.
The history of railroad service in Muskegon is explored in this small exhibit. Train service began in 1869 with service between Muskegon and Ferrysburg. It later became the Michigan Lake Shore Railroad and Grand Haven, Holland and Allegan were added. The Union Depot was built in 1895 and by 1902, passenger traffic in Muskegon had grown to 600 passengers a day. The final train departed from the Depot for Holland in 1971. On display are photographs and artifacts including a Model Logging Train, and information about the various railway companies that transported passengers, lumber, and other goods to and from Muskegon.
Lake Michigan Park
Lake Michigan Park was a major destination for Muskegon beach-goers and entertainment enthusiasts from 1890 to 1925. A roller coaster, dancing pavilion, bowling alley, restaurant, theater, and bathhouse were nestled on the shore of Lake Michigan. The Street Railway Company brought visitors back and forth from the park to the city of Muskegon. The display features a variety of photographs, postcards, and even a ticket from the original park. On display through January 2018.